Winnie Pua, the Managing Director of antics@play – a Singaporean based Brand Consultancy company that utilizes innovative and creative means to come up with effective solutions for business needs. Under her leadership, the unique play-based methodology that the company uses to help other companies overcome hurdles has put antics@play in the spotlight and on the track to continued success. We recently had the pleasure of interviewing Miss Winnie Pua.
- Can you tell us about your role and what you do at antics@play?
I am the Managing Director. My main role is to plan and prepare the company for the future, from people, culture and business perspectives.
- Can you tell us a bit about antics@play as a brand?
We started out almost a decade ago in 2009. The following year, we tasted success with 11 account wins and title of Local Brand Agency of the Year (Thank you Marketing Magazine!). In 2013, we rebranded to further emphasize our focus on strategic marketing and integrated offerings. We also developed a slew of proprietary creativity tools and methodologies the following year.
Through it all, we retained our attitude of being:
- fun-loving; work should never feel like work
- bold; we create like artists and dreamlike visionaries
- inspiring; we move others to open their minds
- insightful because it’s always about authentic human and business insights.
- What does it take to be a successful brand in Southeast Asia?
Auditing and working with many successful brands, there is no doubt that the clarity of vision and the single-mindedness of what they do makes a difference. Some brands try to do too much, for too many people and the brand eventually loses its identity becomes unrelatable to most. It ain’t a popularity contest, really.
- How do you decide when to do a partnership? and which have been the most successful ones.
The partnerships we are involved in, whether for self or on behalf of clients are mostly either business, brand or marketing partnerships. The most successful partnerships occur when people and brands share similar values and purpose.
- How does your company carry out partnerships?
Done mostly on behalf of clients, we typically start with The Challenge, whether it is a heritage brand wanting to relate to younger audiences, or a brand requiring distribution points, we first understand the problem and what causes it. From then on, we research, propose strategic solutions, and sometimes partnerships can be part of the solution. If so, we suggest partners based on common values, purposes and timing as well. The timing has to be right.
- If you could change one thing about the process of partnerships, what would it be?
I do wish the considerations for partnerships give more attention to the long-term factors and impact, rather than just focusing on immediate and perhaps, smaller wins. Most brand collaborations need a much longer engagement to realize its full potential and impact and a 1-year deal just doesn’t cut it.
- What did it take to make antics@play a successful brand?
Confidence in our work and compassion for people. We have to know the ground sentiments and believe our work can impact communities, people. Besides wanting betterment for people, I believe in learning and training our staff, to groom them to be creative visionaries of tomorrow.
- How do you distinguish yourself from your competitors?
Our methodology, the grounded approach to tackling briefs, as well as creativity of our people are key points of difference.
- What is one interesting insight you have as the Dream Weaver?
It’s always about the people. Ideas, campaigns, clients, staff, target audience. We enjoy helping people.
Thank you so much Winnie for sharing your insights with us! We believe that being bold, inspiring, insightful, and fun-loving is the way to go too!
Want to share your thoughts about partnerships? Contact Us!